Re: Bash Problems

Steen Ulrik Palm <sup@cri.dk> writes:

> I have downloaded and installed the 18b version of the gnu-win32 user
> tools under Windows 95. Bash has now been defined as the default shell
> in Emacs and bash runs smoothly within a *shell* buffer.

Heyyy!! What a neat trick! Would you mind putting a small document
together on how you did that? (Which Emacs version, etc.)

> However, I have problems when running bash from a DOS prompt
> window. Firstly, the `Alt Char' key does not work. This means that I'm
> not able to get access to the characters `$', `|', ``' and others
> which hampers the usefulness of bash considerably. I have tried to
> define some keybindings for these characters in ~/.inputrc, but for
> unknown reasons it does not work.

Most of this didn't happen in 17.1, so it should be fixable. However,
17.1 had trouble with deadkeys, which lost us ~, ^, and `, so
restoring the old behavior is not good enough. This is a known bug in
the DOS box itself under W95/Win32 (it's on Microsofts bug list), and
there's no workaround. We need a better terminal window altogether!

~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard@biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45) 35327907
-