connect() failure

Has anyone encountered this problem with connect? I checked the faq and
the archive, but couldn't find anything that popped out at me.

Porting a unix tool I had written on the sun, I had to cast the
sockaddr_in sturcture to sockaddr structure which I see has padding for
the sockaddr_in. Are these fields not used? If not, how would I get
similar functionality?
     _
    /* connect to the host
    ret = connect( sd, ( struct sockaddr * ) (struct sockaddr_in * )
&sd_name,_
                                sizeof( struct sockaddr_in

_

Thanks,