wc bug in b18

Using beta 18 under NT 3.51, I get very strange results with wc:

wc usertools.exe
      3      14     799 usertools.exe

However, wc -c gives the correct solution:

4416422 usertools.exe

I get similar premature end of file results with other tools, e.g. cat,
split.  Is this something to do with the CR/LF thing?  I have tried putting
an entry in the registry for fmode_binary, but this does not
make any difference.  The registry entry I have tried is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
        Cygnus Solutions
            GNU-Win32