Re: Handling ...

Chris Cowan <cowan@pswtech.com> wrote:

> I have gnutar image that I made in an OSF DFS environment.
> Unfortunately, I made the image with absolute paths, so all of the
> items start with the /... prefix.  I can't untar it because I can't
> create a directory named /... or ...

> I have tried to make folders in NT explorer, the DOS console and under
> bash.   I've also tried to map /... and ... using the mount command.
> None of these work.

> Presently, I stymied.  Does anyone have a suggestion around this
> problem?

Fire up a suitably powerful editor (e.g., NTEmacs) on the tar file,
and carefully change the relevant occurances of /... to /xyz (if none
of the files in the tar file contain the character sequence "/...",
you can globally replace all occurances of that sequence).  Then mkdir
/xyz and untar the file.
--
Francis Litterio                     PGP Key Fingerprint:
franl@world.RemoveThis.std.com       02 37 DF 6C 66 43 CD 2C

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin, ~1784

-