The Quest for lean binaries...

Ladies and Gentlemen,

again and again and again ...
we have to deal with the infamous 'not owner' problem which turns out
to be corrupted executables at least under NT4. After reading FAQs
and searching ml-archives this doesn't seem to me to be really straightened
out at all.
I have successfully compiled a quite large seismic processing package
in plain 'C' under cygwin32 which consits of quite a few but mostly
quite small modules. Using gcc's -s options i get corrupted exe's not
running under NT. Avoiding it they run but are too large (for my
humble opinion).
The other day then I loaded some exe's for cygwin32 down ('man' in
particular), found them quite lean and - Not owner! Got suspicious
then, tested them under win95, and they seem to run OK.

So, is this just the status quo? Or is there any solution to get lean
exe's also under, say, NT4SP2 ? I don't think copying the libc++ from
Beta 14 would help me anyhow.

I would really appreciate any kind of answer !

Regards.
Bernd Laser
Dep. of Earth Sciences
University of Bremen

FON:               FAX:               EMail:
+49 421 218 7286   +49 421 218 7179   bela@mtu.uni-bremen.de

Snail:
   Bernd Laser
   Universitaet Bremen, FB 5