something like getch()

Hello,

  I was unable to make pdcurses until b17.1 of cygnus' gcc &
utilities.  I found it pre-compiled on another gnu-win32 repository,
and I could not get that to work either.  If someone would like to
help me out, please e-mail me and I will get into specifics.

  What I really want is to be able to get a character from stdin if
there is one in the buffer, but if no key had been pressed the
function would just return an error code.  I used to use ioctl and
select to do this, but that does not seem to work with cygnus'
release.

  Please e-mail me directly if you have any advice.  Thanks in
advance!

Ben (collver@dnc.net)
-