gcc problem

I am running gcc on two similar NT 3.51 machines. In each case, gcc is
invoked by a makefile line something like
	.o.S
	gcc -c $< -o $@

On one machine, it writes its object files to *.obj, and on the other,
it does as asked and writes to *.o

In both cases I'm using the beta-17 tools, indeed, one machine's
installation was produced by copying the other machine's. Any ideas
why I get this variation?
-