Great, great Fergus !

So apparently Fergus found the solution.

BUT, a last question springs to mind (And I really hope that this will
be the last one as I have the impression that this list is quickly
turning into a mailing list of lawyers)

Given that the executables produced by linking with the GNAT's libcygwin
are free of GLP code it remains the problem of distributing and using
cygwin.dll.
Can I distribute it into the same package (say the same tar archive)
with my proprietary software ?
And even if I don't, do my clients (commercial clients) have the right
to download it themselves and use if for commercial purposes without
paying a fee ?

Fergus Henderson wrote:

> Aubrey McAuley, you wrote:
> >
> > Fergus,
> >
> > Thanks for a very clear statement of the issues. I agree completely.
> > I have a question regarding your last comment:
> >
> > > Yes, the good news is that there seems to be a technical solution:
> > > there is a version of libcygwin.a that is freely available under a
> > > license that is compatible with the LGPL.
> >
> > What is this version you mention? mingw32? Where can it be found?
>
> The version I'm talking about is the one that is distributed with
> GNAT 3.09, which is available via <ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/winnt>.
>
> Here's what Richard Kenner said about it on comp.lang.ada:
>
>  | Subject:      Re: Gnat 3.09 NT - Legal issues
>  | From:         kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
>  | Date:         1997/02/11
>  | Newsgroups:   comp.lang.ada
>  | In article <5dnpk4$iq9@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU> fjh@murlibobo.cs.mu.OZ.AU
>  | (Fergus Henderson) writes:
>  | >If the code generated by GNAT for NT/Win95 using cynwin32 really doesn't
>  | >include any of the libcygwin.a code, could you perhaps explain to us
>  | >how (technically speaking) you avoided that?
>  | 99% of libcygwin.a is automatically-generated jump vectors to
>  | cygwin32.dll, which is GPL'ed, but not included in the generated
>  | executable.  The rest of the files used to build that library, plus
>  | the file used to build crt0.o, constitute only a handful of files,
>  | some of which were copyrighted under the Berkeley copyright, which
>  | imposes no restrictions.  For the remaining couple of files, which
>  | were tiny, we rebuilt libcygwin.a using the sources of those files
>  | from an earlier version of Cygwin32, when they did not have GPL
>  | copyrights.
>  | Thefore no code contained in the user's executable is covered by the
>  | unmodified GPL (the GNAT run-time-library sources are covered by a
>  | modified version of the GPL which permits use of the objects, without
>  | restrictions, in user executables).
>
> --
> Fergus Henderson <fjh@cs.mu.oz.au>   |  "I have always known that the pursuit
> WWW: <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~fjh>   |  of excellence is a lethal habit"
> PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3         |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.
> -
> For help on using this list, send a message to

Pasqualino Assini        --- Kamus Internet Consulting
Via Nazioni Unite,47     --- 50126 Firenze Italy
Tel/Fax: +39 55 68.58.07 --- Tel/Fax: +39 55 48.29.29
Tel: +39 584 79.11.31    ---
Email: assini@kamus.it   --- Web: http://www.kamus.it/

-