Based on the recent Cygnus press release, I object to the name of this mailing
list, 'gnu-win32'.

The principle subject of this list is the proprietary cywin32.dll library, and
ports of free software based on it.  This can not be (or at least, is no
longer) part of the gnu project, since it is based on a central library which
is not distributed under the LGPL, but rather under a tightly restricted,
for-profit license.

This is inconsistent with the expressed goals of the GNU project, since
cygwin32.dll provides essential services, at about the same level as libc.a.

The fact that Cygnus is releasing the cygwin32 sources under the GPL does not
alter the situation.

Now that cywin32 is an independent commercial product, it should no longer use
the name 'gnu'.  When GNU is released by the FSF under Windows32, I doubt that
it will be based on a commercial product.

In my opinion, people interested in the GNU project will probably not find this
list of any further interest, unless:

    . they are evaluating commercial UNIX to Windows32 porting technology

    . they want to make use of the Cygnus free software ports

    . they are coding strictly for internal use

    . they simply curious

    . they are potential cheaters

Shareware and commercial software venders can't use cygwin32.dll without
licensing from Cygnus.

People writing new code, either under the GPL license or as freeware, must be
careful not to incorporate any of cygwin32 code into anything which they may
someday want to release under the LGPL, since Cygnus would have the right to
refuse to allow that.  If Cygnus asks you to assign them rights to any changes
you submit, read the 'fine print' carefully to be sure you're satisfied;
assigning rights to Cygnus is not the same as assigning them to the Free
Software Foundation.
-