Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97

Jeremy Blackman wrote :

> Now, say I want to release this software as shareware.  Granted, in the
> past I've always released code; let's say for some reason I didn't on
> this project.  Not being a large commercial company, I wouldn't have a
> lot of cash to spend on the Cygwin32 license... if there's just a simple
> flat fee for everyone... like several thousand... there's no way a small
> shareware AUTHOR (not porter) will be able to afford the same license
> that a company like, say, Microsoft would.

So if I understand you correctly the real issue isn't the non-GPL license,
it's how much the non-GPL license would cost ?

If so I must agree with you. The situation is that right now I don't
know how much the license is going to be. I'm sure marketing/sales
are mulling it over, but I have no idea what the final decision
will be.

I agree though, that it is important not to lock out the small
developers by charging too much for them. I fork out mucho $$$
for my personal MSDN every year, and it's just on the threshold
of what I consider reasonable for what I get.....

If anyone asks me for anything other than technical questions
here at Cygnus I'll certainly raise these concerns.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison
	jra@cygnus.com
-