Re: Cygnus Cygwin32 Press Release 1/21/97

Jim Balter wrote:
[...]
> They can put any new developments (which would *certainly* not be
> "collective") under a different copyright and hoard the source.

True but as I've mentioned before, we will continue to make free
public betas in the future, with the winsup (cygwin.dll) code under
the GPL.  Hoarding the source is NOT part of the plan.

> If they don't hoard the source, then to allow commercial customers to
> use it in proprietary products they have to put it under the LGPL, and
> once they have done that anyone can include it in a proprietary product
> without paying for a license.

Cygnus is the copyright holder.  I believe this entitles Cygnus to put
it out under any type of license it devises.  In fact, Cygnus can even
put out two releases of the library, identical except for the licensing
terms...

--
Geoffrey Noer
noer@cygnus.com