How does one access a tape drive in WinNT?

Does that \\.\tape0: in the mount table mean anything?  Or do I
have to use some "tape API"?  I have a driver installed for my SCSI
drive, and NTBackup can talk to it, but I wanna use something more
like dd to read my tapes with wacky formats written from "that other
OS".  There's a dd in MKS that can talk to SCSI tapes, but I'd rather
not have to pay $399 for it.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

--
<J Q B>
-