Problem with less

OK, please direct me to the appropriate places if you feel
that my question is inappropriate for this forum, please
let me know, and I will gladly post my question elsewhere.

I downloaded all.tar.gz from the cygwin site, and, after installing it, as
well as the man-page installation from ...
(I can't remember the site, sorry. I found it at cygwin).

whenever I type a command like:

  less foo.txt

I get the following message:
-" must be followed by 1 or 2 chars
Makefile (press RETURN)

and then I press return and everything is fine.

It's just that that damn message is very annoying. Does
anyone have a way to get it to go away?

Thanks,

Greg
-