Re: NFS share - NtOpenFile() failed, c00000be

Hi Andy,

in theory this is the wrong mailing list.  The right one for this type
of question is cygwin AT cygwin DOT com.  But see below.

On Oct 29 11:47, Andy O'Shaughnessy wrote:
> I am able to mount an NFS share from Linux but when I use Cygwin I get
> a stranger error:
>
> $ mount //<server>/<share> /tmp/test1
>
> $ ls -lrt /tmp
> ls: cannot access /tmp/test1: No such file or directory
> total 0
> d????????? ? ? ? ?            ? test1
>
> But when I run the following I get :
>
> $ /usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo /tmp/test1
> NtOpenFile(\??\UNC\<server>\<share>) failed, c00000be
>
> Note : 0xC00000BE = STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_PATH
>
> The mount happened but not properly.
> It might be linked to Windows McAfee Firewalls.
> I would guess this mailing list will readily know what is wrong

As Ryan indicated it may be related to firewall settings, but let's take
a step back first.

- Accessing NFS shares does not work out of the box on Windows.  You
  have to install the NFS feature in Windows first:

  Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off
  -> Services for NFS

  If the above doesn't exist on your machine, you're out of luck.  Since
  Windows 7 this feature is only available to Enterprise customers :(

- In an AD environment you also should make sure to have the required
  authentication as a UNIX user with the right UID/GID.  I urge you to
  read https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html, especially
  https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nfs and
  https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-nsswitch-posix

- In the administrative "Services for NFS" dialog, make sure to disable
  the krb5 security flavors.  I had a lot of trouble with them, but
  there's a good chance I did something wrong, so take this with a grain
  of salt.

- NFSv4 is not support.  Export the shares with NFSv3.

- If you export a share on Unix/Linux like this (/etc/exports):

    /foo/bar/baz  ...

  there won't be a //server/foo share!  There won't be a //server/baz
  share either.  Rather you have to access the full path as in
  //server/foo/bar/baz.  And that sometimes fails for no good reason.
  Therefore, ideally construct your server paths to be exported with a
  single path component, e.g., symlink or bind mount /foo/bar/baz to
  /baz and then export /baz.

HTH,