Re: native symlink

On 4/3/2013 12:32 PM, Larry Hall wrote:
>> (*) In your blog you were musing why Cygwin supports lnk files but
>> not native symlinks.  Here's the answer:  lnk files support using
>> POSIX paths.
>
> And while supporting lnk files does have some benefits for
> interoperability, I think the history of this option is significant.
> At a point in the past, Cygwin symlinks were lnk files by default.
> However, they fell out of favor when support for UTF filenames was added
> to Cygwin.  Given this background, one could certainly posit that lnk file
> support is not in its ascendency and could even be viewed as exactly the
> opposite.  To me, that makes it a weak basis for building an argument to
> add support of new but similar functionality.
>
> Despite the fact that I'm replying directly to Corinna's statement, I'm
> addressing the above comment to Jeffrey.  Somehow I get the feeling that
> Corinna is aware of the history of this option. ;-)

Larry, Thanks for the additional history,

I wasn't making the argument in favor of native symlinks based upon the
existence of LNK files.  In my blog post I was simply documenting
various approaches that had been used.  LNK files clearly pre-date NTFS
and Reparse Points in general let alone the Microsoft Symlink Reparse
Point.  It was very unclear from the Cygwin sources what the motivations
were.

Jeffrey Altman