Re: Cygwin 64bit triplet

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:45:46 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Sorry, but I still don't grok it.  If I run config.guess and config.sub
> on 64 bit Linux, I get:
>
>   $ ./config.guess
>   x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>   $ ./config.sub x86_64-linux
>   x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>
> On Cygwin:
>
>   $ ./config.guess
>   x86_64-unknown-cygwin
>   $ ./config.sub x86_64-linux
>   x86_64-pc-cygwin
>
> This looks rather consistent to me.  Why and how is Linux here different
> from Cygwin?

It's not different from Linux: the very fact that config.guess and
config.sub provide two different responses for what should be the same
system is inconsistent.  But let's leave config.sub out of this for now
though.

> If Linux can live with this, why can't we?

We can -- if we use x86_64-unknown-cygwin as the "canonical" triplet,
just like Linux uses x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, since config.guess is the
more important of the two here.  (config.sub only matters if you use an
incomplete triplet, as is customary with some embedded platforms.)
However, right now we're using x86_64-pc-cygwin, and *that* is where
the problem exists, so we need to choose:

* x86_64-unknown-cygwin: easy to adapt (just adjust bootstrap.sh and
  cygwin.sc.in, then rebuild), naming scheme matches Linux, but doesn't
  sound/look as nice.

* x86_64-pc-cygwin: sounds/looks nicer, naming scheme matches MinGW, but
  getting everything to conform to that OOTB is more work.

Yaakov