Re: Resurrect discussion: Mixing 32 and 64 bit distro

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> > Another, more development oriented downside is the fact that we have to
>> > introduce the cyg64 DLL prefix, which, as far as I remember from the
>> > discussion in 2011, breaks libtool and potentially configury and/or
>> > Makefiles of a couple of packages.
>>
>> It would break every build system used to build libraries, as well as
>> programs which dlopen() prefixed libraries, of which there are many.
>> I assure you that it's a *very* big deal.
>
> Sigh, yes, I noticed that already myself.  I didn't take that serious
> two years ago since it sounded easy to fix.

My argument for cyg64 prefix was that there will be those that try to
do a mix and making it easily identifiable which DLL was actually
causing a problem.

> Ok, so far we have three voices for keeping 32 and 64 bit separate,
> one voice for mixing them, and one being very unsure.

Again, because people will do it.

> Any more input?

Any way for the 64bit DLL to take a different code path for 32bit executables?

--
Earnie