Re: 64 bit Cygwin target and _WIN64

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 04:42:02PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Jul 18 09:44, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >The _WIN64 define is needed for building Cygwin as well as for building
>> >Cygwin applications accessing the Windows API.
>>
>> Why would we worry about hypothetical nonexistent people who are trying
>> to build a 64-bit Cygwin app with 64-bit Windows headers?  Couldn't we
>
>It's hypothetical at this point, but it's not hypothetical as soon as
>the first Cygwin/Windows mixed application is supposed to be ported to
>64 bit Cygwin.  The problem with _WIN64 is not that it will be used
>inside of an application, but that it is used inside the Windows headers,
>for instance to create different structure layouts depending on running
>on 32 or 64 bit Windows.  Typical example, just one of many:
>
>  #if defined(_WIN64)
>    typedef struct DECLSPEC_ALIGN(16) _SLIST_HEADER {
>      ULONGLONG Alignment;
>      ULONGLONG Region;
>    } SLIST_HEADER;
>
>    typedef struct _SLIST_HEADER *PSLIST_HEADER;
>  #else
>    typedef union _SLIST_HEADER {
>      ULONGLONG Alignment;
>      __C89_NAMELESS struct {
>        SLIST_ENTRY Next;
>        WORD Depth;
>        WORD Sequence;
>      } DUMMYSTRUCTNAME;
>    } SLIST_HEADER,*PSLIST_HEADER;
>  #endif

Right.  Didn't you already explain this?  This is certainly what I would
expect the headers to look like.

>> just tell them "Define _WIN64_ somewhere if you want to do this" ?  And
>> then we could use -D_WIN64_ on the Cygwin command line.
>>
>> I think making this somewhat hard might actually help clarify that, when
>> building an app, Cygwin should not be conflated with Windows.
>
>Why do you want to make life harder for Andy or Jon or Yaakov?  Mintty
>or the X server are valid applications which we're happy to exist while
>they having a perfectly good reason to include Windows headers.

This is hardly difficult.  They will have two different versions to
compile.  They can define _WIN64 if they want the 64-bit variant.  This
will be the least of anyone's worries if they are porting code from
32-bit to 64-bit Windows.

I really don't see why the Mingw64 project should have to accommodate
Cygwin.  Maybe if we put a #define _WIN64 in a Cygwin header, I'd feel
slightly better about this but I don't see why another project should
have to change to accommodate us.  Should they also have defines for
Wine and ReactOS?  That doesn't seem like the right way to go.