Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 19:58 -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
> If you can copy cygncursesw* onto cygncurses* without breaking anything,
> then I can make this happen without too much trouble.
>
> If you can't, then...the only way to do it would be Yet Another DLL
> Version Bump, and then we slowly wait for folks to undo their existing
> -I/usr/include/ncursesw stuff...
>
> The reason we currently have two, is simply historical hesitation on my
> part -- I didn't want to "break" existing (narrow) apps, and just wasn't
> sure we could deploy ncursesw as THE ncurses.  Now, I'm less worried,
> but we (are/might be) a little bit stuck.

The solution is *much* simpler than that:

1) Build ncurses *once* with wide char support.

2) Make sure the libncurses-devel package provides symlinks for the
w-less names:
   - libncurses.{a,dll.a,la} -> libncursesw.{a,dll.a,la}
   - /usr/include/ncurses -> /usr/include/ncursesw)
The headers should also be symlinked/copied into /usr/include, as it
used to be.

3) Obsolete the following packages:
   - libncursesw-devel -> libncurses-devel
   - ncursesw -> ncurses
   - ncursesw-demo -> ncurses-demo
   - libncurses10 (until dependent packages are rebuilt)

Yaakov