Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

> On Jun 28 12:35, Charles Wilson wrote:
>>   (b) ABI/API consistency.  If zlib1.dll defines an interface that takes
>> a (32bit) "long"...but my 64bit version of tar.exe thinks that a long is
>> 64bits...it might break if linked to the 32bit version of zlib1.dll.
>> Does this mean that ALL DLLs must have 64bit implementations before ANY
>> client EXEs are ported to the 64bit "platform".  That's another
>> "crippled until" non-solution...
>
> No, 32 and 64 bit DLLs are not interchangable anyway.  A 64 bit process
> can't load 32 bit DLLs and a 32 bit process can't load 64 bit DLLs.
> So, if you only have a 32 bit cygz.dll, you can only create 32 bit
> executables using it.  Only with a cyg64z.dll you can create a 64 bit
> executable using libz.  Same goes for static linking, of course.

Oh.  So we really WILL be stuck with few/no 64bit applications, until
the requisite DLLs have 64bit versions deployed.  Well, ok -- there
aren't THAT many DLLs installed as part of the Base category, so at
least we will know where to focus the early efforts. :-)

Hmmm...I think I had better get busy updating our existing
gettext/libintl offerings to $current, as I'll have better luck getting
cyg64 patches upstream based on a modern gettext distribution, than on
0.17.1. :-P

--
Chuck