Re: Cygwin licensing and redistribution, GPLv2, GPLv3

On 01/27/2011 04:57 PM, tom honermann wrote:
> I've been looking into Cygwin licensing and redistribution regarding the
> Cygwin DLL and various GNU utilities.  The current Cygwin license
> (http://cygwin.com/licensing.html) states

Wrong list.  Ask on cygwin-licensing.

> The way I
> interpret this, this effectively means that no entity other than RedHat
> can distribute GPLv3 GNU utilities dynamically linked with the Cygwin
> DLL and include the Cygwin DLL with the GNU utilities (without
> additional permissions by RedHat).

Short answer - wrong interpretation.  The cygwin license exception
specifically states that a GPLv3 program (by virtue of being an OSI
approved license) can be linked against cygwin and distributed as though
the GPLv2 of cygwin were not present.  Therefore, the GPLv2-only nature
of cygwin does not interfere with the GPLv3 license of the program.