Re: Cygwin Filesystem Performance degradation 1.7.5 vs 1.7.7, and methods for improving performance

Hi,

> Well, just an idea.  I'm also still mulling over a good caching
> method to speed up `ls -l'.  The worst problem is still that `ls -l'
> calls getacl on all files.  In case of using POSIX permissions (default
> "acl" mount), this potentially requires to open all files three times.
> Since we already have the ACL from the lstat call, it's kind of a pity
> that we don't reuse it in the subsequent getacl calls.

May a 'generic cygwin cache' cound be added later on, for caching paths to 'extra cygwin/POSIX info' (st_nlink, st_ino, ACL, symlink magic, exectuable magic, filesystem info).

This cache found be shared by fs_info and lstat/xstat, scandir and others.

The cache re-validation could be perhaps something like QAF().

And once working, this cache could be in the future even upgraded to use shared-memory section, which would make this cache available for all cygwin processes.

Such an implementation could allow near native Win32 speed while giving full POSIX support - so the cygwin user will not need to choose between acl/nlink/etc features vs. security - rather he could have them all.

VMWARE did very good work on providing near native performance in a hash envirnoment (non virtualization friendly x86 CPU, and non virtualization friendly Windows OS). They did it with smart implementation tricks around the hot-spots, and using caching where needed.
I checked what VMWARE did with hgfs (host filesystem): and saw they cached in user-mode some of the filesystem info.
So if such a caching technique is good for vmware - it could also be beneficial for cygwin.

Derry