Re: "C" character set (again)

2010/1/8 Eric Blake:
> My opinion is that it would still be nice to keep "C" in the UTF-8 charset
> (to encourage people to fix their programs that do not comply with POSIX
> rules about the C locale)

Cygwin's aim is Linux compatibility, not teaching people the
subtleties of POSIX.

> fix 8-bit transparency issues in as many
> APIs as possible (such as printf) so that invalid characters are at least
> still handled as transparently-clean 8-bit bytes.

I think that's a good idea either way.

> ÂIn the long run,
> sticking with the UTF-8 charset will only be doing users a favor

By forcing them to make changes that are necessary only for Cygwin??
I'm all for sticking with UTF-8 for the default locale, but not for
the "C" locale.

> even if
> we end up having to point people to the FAQ about locale implications.

And to what purpose? Where's the gain for Cygwin here?

Andy