Re: "C" character set (again)

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> First of all, Happy New Year to all of you!

 :) Likewise

>> Trouble is, Cygwin currently is the only significant platform where
>> plain "C" implies UTF-8, as far as I know anyway.

> I'm still not convinced that C == C.ASCII is really such a good idea for
> us.  What other conversion problems are waiting right around the bend?
> Shouldn't we rather try to fix some of the issues which show up on the
> list?

  Yeah.  I'm for WJM here.  Takeup of i18n is years behind where it should be.
 If it's ever going to be anything but a joke, we're going to have to switch
it on always everywhere by default and go through the pain sooner or later.
Same goes for all the big linux distros; some of them are just starting to
dabble their toes in the water, they're running up against similar problems.
Might be kind of nice for Cygwin to be leading the pack amongst *[iu]x distros
for a change instead of lagging some way behind!

    cheers,
      DaveK