Re: 1.7.1 release date?

On Dec  2 10:50, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >>... The common proposal was
> >>LANG=C.UTF-8, so just manifesting explicitly what is the internal
> >>default anyway. I don't think it can be harmful and even if it may
> >>not be necessary for many applications, it may be helpful for some
> >>and thus avoid trouble; also it's the usual thing to do by Linuces
> >>that use UTF-8 as a default.
> >Yeah, but they don't have it hardcoded in the installer.  As discussed,
> >we should move the creation of cygwin.bat out of setup.exe soon, and then
> >we can set LANG.
> >
> >Even then I would prefer if some package (base-files probably) would
> >two files:
> >
> >  /etc/profile.d/lang.sh:
> >  export LANG=C.UTF-8
> >  /etc/profile.d/lang.csh:
> >  setenv LANG C.UTF-8
> It should be:
>     LANG=${LC_ALL:-${LC_CTYPE:-${LANG:-C.UTF-8}}}

This doesn't work for csh, of course.

> in case the user has a customized cygwin.bat with an explicit and
> different initialization, otherwise settings would get inconsistent
> at this point.
>
> Or the proper setting could be derived from setlocale(), e.g. using
> the `locale` command line tool if added to cygwin.

Ok, so we have three other options now.  Andy and Thomas, please work
out the best solution together.  It should work in sh and csh.  Then
post it as reply to http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-12/msg00090.html so
John can put it into the base-files package.  Either that, or we just
don't set it by default.  I'm a bit fed up with this $LANG discussion
and I have enough more important stuff to do.