Re: 1.7.1 release date?

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
On Nov 19 17:15, Thomas Wolff wrote:
I think this stuff is working quite well now, with one small but
significant issue: I had suggested to add set LC_CTYPE=C.UTF-8 to
cygwin.bat and I'd like to strongly repeat this suggestion as it
might avoid much trouble.
Can you repeat your reasoning? After all, C.UTF-8 is the default
locale now, so not setting LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG will result in
C.UTF-8 being default anyway.

For applications that use the API (setlocale, nl_langinfo) it's not essential, and I think you tweaked setlocale so that it works as expected if no locale variable is set;

   side note: actually, the setlocale manpage doesn't appear to be up
   to date:
    This is a minimal implementation, supporting only the required
    `"C"' value for LOCALE; ...

But for applications that explicitly check the locale environment variables themselves, it is misleading. If there is none, they will make a default assumption which is unlikely to be UTF-8, that's where the trouble starts.

Thomas