Re: console vs ^X

On Sep 29 14:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Sep 29 12:28, Andy Koppe wrote:
> > Trying the latest DLL with Corinna's patches (thanks!), I noticed the
> > following issue in the console.
> >
> > With the charset configured to something other than UTF-8, if you
> > press a key that isn't in that charset, the console will send a
> > ^X-UTF8 sequence. ^X is special to readline though, hence weird
> > effects might ensue.
>
> On output?  It's just printed to the console so what should happen?!?

Looks like I misunderstood you completely.  Please scratch my previous
reply.

If you press a char which isn't in the charset it will be converted to a
^X sequence on input, of course.  The problem is just still, what do you
expect it should generate instead?  There is no 100% safe replacement
mapping, afaics, given that any ASCII control char could have some
special meaning.