Re: Console codepage setting via chcp?

2009/9/25 Corinna Vinschen:
> However, the
> longer I think about it, the more I think that using UTF-8 exclusively
> for system object names is the right thing to do in the long run. ÂIf
> there's really a sense in switching the charset for those objects, it
> shouldn't change within a session. ÂAt least for 1.7.1! ÂWe can always
> macerate this concept later, but right now, it looks like making the
> changes you're asking for could easily take a couple more months. ÂWe
> should not turn the code entirely upside down at this point in time, but
> get 1.7.1 out first, and I would like to have a concept in 1.7.1 which
> is at least safe enough to let me sleep at night.

I understand.

Right, here's what I gather you've got planned now. Please correct what's wrong:

- System objects will always be translated using UTF-8. This includes
file names, user names, and initial environment variables (and
probably more I'm not aware of).
- The "C" locale's charset will be UTF-8.
- There'll be language-neutral "C.<charset>" locales.
- The user's ANSI codepage will remain the default charset for
"language_TERRITORY" locales.
-  The console charset will be set according to LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG
when cygwin1.dll is initialised. (Or will 'setcons' be needed for
that?)
- setlocale() will have no effects beyond what's expected in Linux.

Andy