Re: Console codepage setting via chcp?

On Sep 24 17:08, andy.koppe wrote:
> 2009/9/24 Corinna Vinschen:
> > Given that in the Japanese and Chinese locale all other singlebyte
> > codepages are still available, I have a hard time to understand the
> > scheme behind this.
>
> Dissuading people from using DBCSs? Can't blame 'em.

Heh!

> > Do you think this is a problem? ?It's certainly an annoyance when
> > testing locale-specific changes, but is it relevant to users?
>
> Difficult to imagine. If it is, there are workarounds: setting the
> console to UTF-8 and using luit for conversion. Or using another
> terminal.

Right.

> > Last but not least, the alternative would be to store the Console
> > character set as an environment variable, just as the
> > "CYGWIN=codepage:[ansi:oem]" setting back in 1.5 times. ?Sigh.
>
> Hmm. How about simply using the standard locale variables again?
> Except unlike now the console charset would be set at startup rather
> than by setlocale.

Yeah., it's just... what bugs me with this approach is

- If you want to switch to a certain charset, you must do this before
  the first Cygwin process in the console starts (via batch file or
  system-wide setting of LC_ALL/LC_CTYPE/LANG.

- If you want to switch the console to another charset you can't do that
  on the fly in Cygwin.  You must either exit from the console, or start
  cmd, change the locale variable in cmd, and start another Cygwin
  process from there.

It would be still be nice to have something like this, IMHO:

- Default everything to UTF-8, including the console.

- Provide the setcons tool to allow switching to another charset
  which is now valid for all Cygwin processes in the console.

That should be possible.  I have to think about this some more...