Re: 1.7.1 release

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:31:34PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>here's a start for a "What's missing for the release" thread.
>
>I'm only listing what comes to mind.  I don't mean to make an assessment
>or push anything.  I'd just like to discuss where we are.  Please add
>missing points.
>
>- Order of calling DLL dtors functions per
>  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2009-07/msg00000.html
>  Must have in 1.7.1?

Yes, I think so.

>- Fifo regression per http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-07/msg00233.html
>  Need to fix for 1.7.1?

Yes.  Unfortunately, I don't have an ETA for this.  I've devoted a lot
of time to the problem but I don't have a solution yet.

>- WCONTINUED/WIFCONTINUED.  Feature request.  Easy to add?  Can wait?

This is easy to add but it shouldn't hold up a release.  If it is there
then fine otherwise it can wait for 1.7.2.

Another todo is changes to tty mutex handling which could eliminate some
deadlocks.  I guess that will have to wait for 1.7.2 since I don't see
myself getting to it any time soon.

>- Decouple release-2 area from release.
>
>- Rename setup-1.7.exe to setup.exe.

I'll do the two above since they will be coupled and it will undoubtedly
take me several tries to get right.  I'll also eliminate automatic
updating of setup.ini for the 1.5 area.

I know it is probably wishful thinking but it would be nice to have some
eyes on the current 1.7 documentation with the thought of eliminating
typos and making sure it is as clear as possible.  We will need to have
something solid to point people to when 1.7 goes live and I, for one,
have done the usual programmer thing of considering documentation an
afterthought.  I know that Corinna has been diligent about keeping
things up-to-date but it always helps to have multiple eyes on
documentation (and source code for that matter).