Re: [RFC] Libstdc++ dll conformance solution. [Re: Cygwin 1.7 release (was Re: ??? The library or libraries will be delivered[...])]

On Jun  4 12:43, Dave Korn wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> >> That's still a sore point.  Dave, is there any chance we can switch
> >> to gcc-4 as standard compiler for Cygwin 1.7 within the next 4 weeks?
> >
> >   Yep, there is.  What we need is
> >
> > 1.  Solution to the libstdc++ DLL operator new/delete function replacement
> > problem.
> > 2.  New release of binutils from head.
> >
> >   #2 may be dependent on #1, depending on the solution adopted, and I have
> > decided over the past week or so to take a new tack which I will raise for
> > discussion over on -developers in just a minute, but I think it should be
> > acceptable and can be done quicker than my original plan.
>
>   So, to enlarge.  Rather than implement full ELF-style dynamic runtime
> resolution, or even partial-for-weak-symbols-only ELF-style dynamic blah blah
> blah, I reconsidered a suggestion that I think originally came from Brian to
> adapt and extend the existing malloc wrappers.
> [...lots of interesting stuff...]
>
>   So, would this design be acceptable to everyone?

I would love to say yes, but this is somewhat beyond my expertise.
Can you give an executive (for dummies) summary what would have to be
changed in Cygwin and how this breaks backward compatibility with...
anything?