Re: More: [1.7] packaging problem? Both /usr/bin/ and /usr/lib/ are non-empty

On May 13 13:06, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 06:43:34PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Oh, btw, Linux *has* a "user" mount option, which are mount points
> >every user can use.  That's fairly close (of course not 100%) to how
> >Cygwin is handling user mounts.
>
> Right, that's why I argued for "nouser" rather than "system" as the
> option.  But, on linux, root can issue a mount command which changes the
> "nouser" environment.
>
> I thought it would be useful to allow an administrator to also set a
> global mount point that would disappear when "cygwin halts".

I honestly don't think so.  We don't have global mount points in the
sense that they are shared between sessions.  Even an administrator
can only change the mount points in his/her own session.  The only
way to share mount points between sessions is to change /etc/fstab.

So the basic idea of differing between system/nouser and user mount
points in this fstab-based model was to ensure that an administrator can
set mount points in /etc/fstab which a user can't override and, by doing
that, adccidentally screws up something serious.  That's something we
didn't have so far with the old registry-based mount points.

If you still think an admin should at least be allowed to screw up his
own session, it might make sense to add a check for being administrator
to mount_info::add_item so an admin can overrisde system mounts, a user
can't.