This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Slow stat(2) performance on ClearCase MVFS
- From: Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please at cygwin dot com>
- To: cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:34:03 -0400
- Subject: Re: Slow stat(2) performance on ClearCase MVFS
- References: <49EA23FE.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin-developers at cygwin dot com
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:03:26PM -0700, Earl Chew wrote:
> For quite a while now I've seen noticeably poor cygwin performance
> on ClearCase MVFS drives with recursive commands like:
> o grep -r
> o find .
> o rm -r
> For example, executing 'find . -name "*.exe"' on a particular
> MVFS directory tree here takes 8 mins (480 secs), but using
> the strategy outlined in result 6 below reduces the time to 32 secs.
> Some digging on 1.5.25-15 and narrowed down the issue to the
> performance of stat(2).
> Some questions:
> o Does it make sense to replace GetFileAttributes() with
> FindFirstFile() in all cases ?
You are probably looking at the Cygwin 1.5 sources. The stat functions
in Cygwin 1.7 have been largely rewritten.