Re: Filenames with Win32 special characters (or: Interix filename compatibility)

On Jul 12 09:50, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:37:29AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >What if Cygwin checks itself for the obcaseinsensitivity registry key
> >and takes it into account?  If the user *made* the choice, we could be
> >case sensitive by default and only case insensitive on mount points
> >with the "nocase" (or whatever) option.  Otherwise, if the registry
> >key isn't set, all operations are case insensitive as usual.  As for
> >the managed mounts, we could drop them entirely
> >
> >Good?  Bad?  Ugly?
>
> That's actually what I thought you were proposing.  Why should Cygwin
> assume case sensitivity if the underlying OS doesn't support it?

Actually, I wasn't sure what I was proposing :)

Assuming the above idea is basically sane, what about grandpa NT4
and grandma Win2K?  Both kernels are case sensitive by default and
both don't know the above registry key.  Erring on the side of caution
*could* mean, that Cygwin only goes case sensitive if the registry
exists and is set to 0.  Or, we're progressive and are case sensitive
if the registry doesn't exist or is set to 0.