Re: Output of "uname -s" and "uname -o"

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun  9 09:54, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > I don't think we can change this.  The sysname field is the only one
> > > which you can use to identify the system.  There's no other room for
> > > this.
> >
> > You're right, both release and version fields are pretty much filled to
> > capacity.  I was somehow under the impression that the OS name was a field
> > returned by Cygwin -- I now see from the sources that it's a coreutils
> > invention.
> >
> > Technically, the version field would be the right place to store the
> > information about the underlying Windows version.
> >
> > I just looked at the Linux utsname.h, and it defines the length of all the
> > fields to be 65 characters.  Is there a compelling reason for Cygwin to be
> > limited to 20?
>
> Old header files plus backward compatibility.  The structure is exposed
> to applications.  Every change here requires to check for the Cygwin
> version under which the application has been built.  I cursed the short
> field length myself at onepoint, but the added complexity looks a bit
> questionable.

#define uname uname_long
#define utsname utsname_long
#define _UTSNAME_LENGTH 20
struct utsname_long {
  char sysname[_UTSNAME_LENGTH];
  char nodename[_UTSNAME_LENGTH];
  char release[_UTSNAME_LENGTH];
  char version[_UTSNAME_LENGTH];
  char machine[_UTSNAME_LENGTH];
};
int uname_long (struct utsname_long *);

Or something along those lines...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor.  That is the whole
Torah; the rest is commentary.  Go and study it." -- Rabbi Hillel