Re: findutils support in 1.7.0

On Apr 28 17:59, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Actually I used another table of values from a run of 1369 iterations
> and a pathlength of up to 12338 chars.
>
> I ran the test on XP SP3.  And here I have... *gasp* ... positive news.
>
> While I can reproduce the same almost quadratic behaviour on XP SP2, I
> *can't* on Vista and 2008.  The behaviour appears to be rather linear,
> even though it's hard to tell.  Anyway, Vista as well as 2008 are much
> faster.  For the max tested pathlength of 12K chars, XP needs about
> 80000 usecs, Vista/2008 needs about 1200 usecs.  So there's actually
> some hope in newer Windows versions.  For all of you who want to see the
> actual timings, I appended a CSV file with what I measured.  All tests
> were running on identical (virtual) hardware.

Just for kicks, I ran the test now on all systems I have installed, all
running in the same virtual HW on the same guest machine.  The results
show that NT4 accesses long path names as fast as Vista/2008, while
Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and 2003 R2 all show the quadratic behaviour.

Looks like Microsoft introduced a bug with the new NTFS implementation
in Windows 2000 and only fixed that with the new NTFS implementation in
Vista.  If you're interested in the full table of values, see
http://cygwin.de/foo-values.csv