Re: Building cygwin

According to smr xxxx on 4/16/2008 2:09 AM:
I'm trying to diagnose a problem with fstat and lseek not working as
expected with stdin on Vista Enterprise SP1.

Anyway, I've grabbed the src package via setup.exe, and am trying to
build, with no luck so far.  I've tried the instructions in the
included README (./configure ; make ; make install)

Won't work. You have to be in a different directory than the checkout for the configure to work (VPATH build). But once you attempt configuring in-tree, you have to nuke everything that configure did before a VPATH build can be attempted. A fresh checkout may be in order.

and also those in
the FAQ (http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin).

And the FAQ confirms that.

Using the FAQ instructions I get an error about non-existence of c++,

Did you download the correct tools with setup.exe? g++ is not installed by default on a bare-bones cygwin installation.

Can anyone offer any instructions on how to build cygwin?  All I'm
interested in doing right now is adding some printf's to fstat to work
out what's going wrong.

strace already adds printf to fstat; have you tried looking at strace output first?

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net