Re: CYGWIN=codepage? Or LC_CTYPE=foo?

On Apr  8 01:04, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Which means, every shell package has to be changed to call the tool
> > in the profiles which come with the shell.  Adding profile.d/*.c?sh
> > files does not require this.
>
> I was under the impression that this could be accomplished for all
> shells at once simply by releasing an updated base-files package, but
> apparently tcsh does not participate in this convention and includes its
> default startup files with the shell itself instead.  So yes, it's not
> quite as easy as dropping a new file in profile.d.  (But that's okay, I
> really only mentioned it as a startup time optimization.)

I took it as that.  But the profile.d mechanism is there for a good
reason, I think.  It's *the* non-intrusive mechanism to add stuff to the
shell startup.

You're right in that we probably don't need a /etc/sysconfig/i18n file
and that we can just call "this tool"(*) in a profile.  OTOH, having an
i18n file allows to override the system choice of LANG in exactly one
spot.  If "this tool" is called every time, every user has to override
the system choice explicitely in the personal profiles.

Corinna

(*) Well, it has no name yet...