Re: Fw: File name too long problem -- maybe fix coming?

According to Dave Korn on 1/9/2008 7:19 AM:
  Another reason to keep PATH_MAX lower is that people tend to be pretty free
about declaring auto (stack local) char arrays of that size;

Which is inherently non-portable (consider GNU/Hurd, where PATH_MAX is intentionally undefined because there is no limit), but yes, there is a lot of non-portable code out there with bad assumptions. It's probably even worse on cygwin (one of my cygwin-specific coreutils hacks uses such an array for converting between POSIX and Windows names for detecting case-insensitive renames, although I at least guarded it with preprocessor magic to warn me if PATH_MAX ever grew larger).

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net