Re: Fw: File name too long problem -- maybe fix coming?

According to Corinna Vinschen on 1/9/2008 5:44 AM:
Actually, for a couple of weeks I'm already wondering if we shouldn't
better set PATH_MAX to 32000 or even a smaller value like 16384.  That's
still a darn long path and it's much more safe to handle.

If we follow Linux' lead, then set PATH_MAX to the largest sequence we are willing to handle at once (even 4096 would be fine by me) in the arguments given to most syscalls, provided that we also support the ability to access files with longer names by using relative paths that fit within PATH_MAX (for example, with the addition of *at functions). Then only a few special functions will have to support strings longer than PATH_MAX (for example, the Austin Group is adding requirements to getcwd in the next revision of POSIX that makes it always accurate, even if the current directory has an absolute path longer than PATH_MAX, because it was reached in stages through relative directories).

I heartily agree that setting PATH_MAX to 32000 is overkill, provided that we can still get to a file with a name that long by breaking the access into stages.

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net