Re: CWD and long paths

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Well, yes, in fact I implicitly assumed that this is understood by
> the reader.  That's one reason I'm asking this question.

What about just truncating the CWD and setting it to the root of the
drive if it's too long?

Rationale:

- It's a consistant failure mode rather than indeterminately trying to
pick some subset of the path.

- It makes it clear and explicit that the user is trying to do something
that isn't possible.

- Such a case couldn't/wouldn't have worked anyway before, so it's not a
regression.

The 8.3 idea might be workable but I find the whole concept of short
names so hideous that I loathe to even acknowledge it.

Brian