Re: EOL for Windows 95/98/Me

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Feb 13 09:31, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> > > Yeah, I see the scenario now.  Maybe the 9x version of setup.exe
> > > could just use a different filename for /etc/setup/last-mirror so
> > > that it does not pick up the last mirror used for standard
> > > setup.exe.
> >
> > That, or simply have a special identifier file on the 9x mirrors, and
> > teach both setup variants to either look for it or make sure it's
> > absent.
> > 	Igor
>
> Is there a chance that the people working on setup.exe start coding?
> It might still take some time until 1.7.0 is ready, but it doesn't
> make sense to wait, does it?
>
> So far we need two additions:
>
> - Identify the machine it's running on and choose the right path
>   to setup.ini and the release subdir.
>
>   For now I suggest having two ini files, setup.ini and setup_9x.ini,
>   as well as two subdirs, release and release_9x(*).

That makes sense, and shouldn't be hard.  I'll see if I can find some time
to do this.

> - setup.exe should always create three directories:
>
>   /dev
>   /dev/shm
>   /dev/mqueue
>
>   The shm and mqueue subdirectories should be created with 1777
>   permissions.

Umm, is there a reason these should be created by setup, and not by a
postinstall script?  The only reason I can think of is the package
tarballs actually containing something that will be extracted into those
directories...  Otherwise, I'd relegate this to base-files.

> Corinna
>
> (*) In the long run there won't be any changes to the 9x release tree,
>     but at least there will be a Cygwin distro for the last hardcore 9x
>     users.

Unless there's a fork... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin