Re: EOL for Windows 95/98/Me

On Feb 13 09:31, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Brian Dessent wrote:
>
> > Igor Peshansky wrote:
> >
> > > The problem is that if setup-9x inherits a mirror URL from the previous
> > > setup, that URL may be pointing to a non-9x mirror.  We'll need some sort
> > > of sanity check, a way to distinguish 9x mirrors from the non-9x mirrors,
> > > so that setup-9x can warn the user that she's about to install the wrong
> > > versions of the packages.
> >
> > Yeah, I see the scenario now.  Maybe the 9x version of setup.exe could
> > just use a different filename for /etc/setup/last-mirror so that it does
> > not pick up the last mirror used for standard setup.exe.
>
> That, or simply have a special identifier file on the 9x mirrors, and
> teach both setup variants to either look for it or make sure it's absent.
> 	Igor

Is there a chance that the people working on setup.exe start coding?
It might still take some time until 1.7.0 is ready, but it doesn't
make sense to wait, does it?

So far we need two additions:

- Identify the machine it's running on and choose the right path
  to setup.ini and the release subdir.

  For now I suggest having two ini files, setup.ini and setup_9x.ini,
  as well as two subdirs, release and release_9x(*).

- setup.exe should always create three directories:

  /dev
  /dev/shm
  /dev/mqueue

  The shm and mqueue subdirectories should be created with 1777
  permissions.

Corinna

(*) In the long run there won't be any changes to the 9x release tree,
    but at least there will be a Cygwin distro for the last hardcore 9x
    users.