Re: More spawn & Windows processes

On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:34:05PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
>You could also set the pipe as inheritable for execs, as proposed
>earlier.  That makes sync_proc_pipe unnecessary.  Having a
>"set_proc_pipe_inheritance" would not be any more complicated (code
>wise).  It would also not be slower than duplicating the pipe into the
>exec'ed process.

Making the pipe inheritable brings us back to the scenario of having a
parent process wait for all children of an exec'ed non-cygwin process.  I'd
rather avoid that now that we have a way to avoid it.

I tried the simple solution of sending an alert_parent(0) when the pipe
has been dup'ed to a terminated process (grumble).  That stopped the
hang but there were still defunct processes and an strace that was
non-killable even from sysinternal's process explorer.  Starting the
process in suspended state seems to fix the problem.  I was going to
check this in but I found another irregularity that I want to fix first.