Re: Using eCos code in Cygwin

vinschen@redhat.com wrote:

On Jan 21 15:09, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

Hi All,

I've been working on integrating the full bind resolver into Cygwin and,

Is that different from what we already have in minres?

Yes. I'm taking a slightly different approach then Pierre. I believe he is using bind8 sources, whilst I'm using the latest bind9 w/ FreeBSD sources. My goal is to provide a single, uniform resolver across all platforms, with the source code as clean as possible of any kluges. I know that either people are going to call me crazy or flame me for what I'm saying, but, hey, it's just my opinion. Frankly, I'm sick of seeing one thing done 4 different ways because Microsoft can't get its act together and release a unified winsock3 for all versions of Windows[1]. Also, let's face it, the windows resolver is very simple and bind wins hands down in terms of functionality and flexibility. Maybe I'm bias because the more I get into the winsock internals, the more I dislike it. Anyhow, I'd like to keep the /etc/resolv.conf as the central configury point. If it doesn't exist, then I'll grab the "nameserver" and "search" information from the registry. I've also thought of providing a simple utility for use in scripts (profile.d, init.d, etc.) which automatically generates this file on the fly (similar in nature to mkpasswd). I'm also intrigued by CGF's idea awhile back regarding /etc/fstab; perhaps I could do something similar with /etc/resolv.conf.

Cheers,
Nicholas

[1] I mean really, if you look at the NDIS DDK interface and how WinPcap has exploited it, the support code is *there* in Win95a to support all of the same winsock feature code (with exceptions for security) found in the latest & greatest winsock dll in Win2k3. Gee, too bad that federal judge was so soft on Microsoft... If I were judge, my punishment would be to force them to support, free of charge, all their products for a minimum of 15 years ;-).