Re: About "messed up user permissions from w2k terminal session"

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:52:47AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > Does putting the value into a global namespace fail in some meaningful way
> > when the user doesn't have the privilege?  If so, we could first try to
>
> See the cygwin ML:  Error 5, ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED.

Yes, I've seen this.  By "a meaningful way" I meant "in a way that could
be distinguished from other, legitimate error conditions".

> > set the global value, and if that didn't work, fall back to local...  My
> > main worry is that TS is just one case that we've discovered that has this
> > problem -- there may be others.
>
> Sure, yes, we could do this.  I just don't like this but it woudn't hurt
> to do it this way, probably.
>
> Corinna

Well, it's in the archives, so we could do the explicit group detection
first, and if there turn out to be more of those conditions, fall back on
this method.  It might be good to have your reasons for not liking it
expressed in this thread as well, just to have it all in the same place.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu