Re: Anyone willing to maintain a cygwin bugs database

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I have always resisted the idea of a cygwin bug database because the
> cygwin user base is basically so clueless.  The theory is that if we
> opened up a bug database it would be filled with people reporting that
> setup.exe isn't resizeable or saying "I need help cygwin, gcc command
> not found says".
>
> However, I can see some benefit in pointing to official bugzilla URLs
> when someone reports a problem and possibly referring to closed bugzilla
> ids in cygwin releases.
>
> So, I was wondering if anyone wanted to volunteer to police a cygwin
> database?  Ideally, this would be done by one of the many lurkers in
> this mailing list rather than people who are already active.  I'd hate
> to dilute people's efforts on other fronts since I think this could
> require some regular and concentrated effort.

I think it'd be a cool thing to have, would help developers keep track of
current problems, etc, etc. We could even have a cygserver section to keep track
of all that remote mean'ness. :-)

Look on the bright side, if users can't even find a link on the homepage, or
read the smallest portion of text there, the clueless won't be finding the bugzilla
for the project....Hmmm, scratch that, they'll probably just see "report
superfluous bugs *here*"

Anyway, I say go for it. It's worth a try.

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB  |  http://www.nongnu.org/wwwauth/
http://www.emcb.co.uk  |  http://www.emcb.co.uk/webauth/