Re: HEADSUP package maintainers: Welcome to cygwin 1.5.0

Moved from cygwin-apps to here.  I assume it probably ends with this
message, though.

For those who are interested, the history is here:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-07/msg00052.html

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 21:32:55 -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 04:31:25PM -0500, Brian Ford wrote:
>
>>If these were translated via the headers at compile time, then new
>>executables with old libraries might have a better chance at working,
>>each in their own 32 or 64 bit world, but together.
>>
>The old libraries wouldn't magically understand the larger structures
>that new executables need regardless of whether we're talking about
>link or compile time.

Yes, you cut out my disclaimer about that below.

>>Obviously, they still couldn't pass the types that changed sizes between
>>them, though.
>>

>Anyway, we're not going to redesign everything now.

I understand.  That was the reason for this disclaimer.

>>Sorry, I should have asked about this back on cygwin-developers, but I
>>wasn't thinking that hard about it then.

I thought I might have had an idea to further ease the transition period.
I would have been willing to work up a simple patch if you were
interested.  Oh, well.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer