Re: Windows 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:17:18AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 04:49, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:43:54PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> >I know it sounds paranoid but somehow I'm thinking that Microsoft
>> >exactly knows what non-MS software will stop working on 2003 :-(((
>>
>> Did I mention that the organization which donated the Windows Server
>> 2003 to me was Microsoft?
>
>... wow!
>
>No, you hadn't mentioned that. Are MS wanting cygwin to stay compatible?

I'm sure that some small faction does.  Cygwin is a mixed blessing though.
You could make a case for why Microsoft should hate it and for why Red Hat
should hate it.  And, oddly enough, I've heard both arguments.

When I was introduced to Red Hat's CEO as "The Cygwin maintainer" he gave
me a funny look and said something like "Cygwin is a very interesting
product isn't it?"

Yep.  It certainly is.

FWIW, there seems to have been a huge increase in people wanting buyout
licenses lately.  I have no idea why.  I don't see any common
denominator in the requirements.  And, they are all real buyouts rather
than a "We don't want to have to provide the source code for ssh and X".

The biggest problem is getting sales people to understand what cygwin is
and how to sell it.