Re: Cygwin XP Fast User Switching Support?

Corinna,

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 02:47:41PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 08:17:41AM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 02:10:03PM -0400, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > > Are there any Cygwin events, semaphores, etc. that can be
> > > similarly affected by the multiple namespace issue too?
> >
> > It appears that we are going to have to deal with the above:
> >
> >     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg01140.html
> >
> > Are there other cases besides AF_UNIX sockets?  If so, is there a
> > global strategy that we can use to solve this issue throughout
> > Cygwin?
>
> Probably I'm thickheaded but could you please give a brief description
> what the exact problem is here?

The crux of the problem is the following:

    Global names after a XP Fast User Switch will only be visible if
    the client prefixes the name with "Global\" or it runs in Terminal
    Session 0 (i.e., the first logon session or services).

Please see the following for more details, if interested:

> I see there's a name used but what's going on with this symbol and why
> does it hinder psql to run?

In the above case, the event created to improve the security of Cygwin's
AF_UNIX implementation is not visible to psql unless it is running in
Terminal Session 0.  Note this problem affects all client/server apps
using AF_UNIX sockets when the server runs as a service.  I'm concerned
that there may be other cases too...

Jason